A gooey, rich, protein-packed chocolate mug cake that you can make in less than 5 minutes with 6 ingredients. We love it for a mid-week dessert when we fancy something chocolatey after dinner!
All you need to do it pop all the ingredients in a mug, mix them up until smooth, and then microwave the batter a couple of minutes until your mug cake is spongey and delicious.
Cocoa powder and coconut flour form of the base of this healthy mug cake. This adds richness and sweetness to the batter; perfect as a great gluten-free alternative to standard flour. And our cacao and caramel flavoured plant-based protein makes the cake even chocolatier and means you get 25g protein in a cake!
TIP: Add chocolate chips to the batter for an extra chocolate kick or stir through some fresh raspberries for a fruity twist. Drizzle with melted dark chocolate before serving to take this mug cake to a whole new level!
Share your creations with us on social media @ReflexNutrition
- 1 medium egg
- 2 scoops (25g) cacao and caramel plant-based protein
- 1tbsp (10g) cocoa powder
- 1tbsp (10g) coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100ml-150ml almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Optional: 1tsp powdered sweetener of choice (for extra sweetness)
- Optional extras: chocolate chips, raspberries
- Crack the egg into a mug and stir until the yolk and white have combined.
- Add in the plant-based protein, cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking powder and 100ml of the almond milk and mix until smooth. The batter should be fairly thick and creamy but if it feels too thick and lumpy then add the remaining almond milk.
- Stir through any extra ingredients like chocolate chips or raspberries and microwave on medium-high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave, or until risen and spongy to touch.
- Either eat straight from the mug or turn out and serve with your favourite toppings and sides.