One a penny, two a penny...Hot Cross Buns!
Reflex PT Tegan Pryce (@treatsbyteee) has shared her delicious protein packed, dark chocolate and cherry flavoured Hot Cross Bun recipe with us! Apparently Hot Cross Buns aren't just for Easter...Tegan has incorporated 1 scoop of 100% Whey Protein Vanilla into her alternative buns! Check out the recipe below:
- 275g spelt flour (I used wholegrain spelt because it contains a little more protein than regular flour, plus it is high in magnesium, iron and zinc. However if you don’t have any, you can use all purpose regular flour).
- 1 scoop (35g) of 100% Whey Vanilla
- 3tbsp Caster Sugar with Stevia extract (I used this as the lower calorie alternative to regular caster sugar).
- 7g Sachet fast action yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 30g Dried Cherries, chopped
- 40g Dark Chocolate Chips (or dark chocolate, finely chopped)
- 30g Currants
- 25g Sultanas or Rasins
- 150ml Unsweetened Almond milk (any milk is fine)
- 25g Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 Egg
For the Crosses:
- 40g Plain Flour
- 20ml (or so) Milk
For the Sugared Water:
- 1 egg cup boiled water
- 1 pinch mixed spice
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, salt, mixed spice and 1 scoop of 100% Whey Protein - Vanilla
- In a separate bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave until completely melted (about 30 seconds). Add the egg and milk and whisk together until combined.
- Slowly add the liquid mixture into the flour mixture, folding in with a metal spoon.
- Fold in the cherries, currants, sultanas and dark choc chips until a dough is formed (you may need to add a little extra flour if the dough is too sticky).
- Place the dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until the dough has visibly risen.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Then cut the dough into 8 balls, place on a lined baking tray and then cover and leave to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- Whilst the dough is rising, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- To make the crosses, mix the flour and milk together to form a dough (you may need to add more flour if the dough is too sticky). Once the dough is at a mould-able consistency, break off small sections and roll into long sausages for the crosses.
- Make up the sugared water.
- Once the buns have risen, place the crosses on top of the buns. Then brush with a little sugared water, and place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until golden on top. Take them out of the oven and brush again with the sugared water to get a shiny glaze.
What is 100% Whey Protein?
100% Whey Protein contains pure whey protein and amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle tissue. We use whey protein that's hormone and antibiotic free and made from the milk of grass-fed cows. Milk from grass-fed cows is richer in omega-3 fatty acids and has up to five times as much CLA.
100% Whey Protein also contains LactoSpore®, a friendly bacteria and there's no added sugars, no amino spiking and no soy protein.