Getting protein into your breakfast from food alone can be tough and this is where protein supplements can be the ideal workaround. We chat to Reflex Elite, author and yoga teacher Nicola Hobbs to find out her go-to high-protein breakfast recipes.
Completed any of Nicola's recipes? Tag us in your creations on Instagram!
1. Chocolate Protein Pancakes
These thick and fluffy pancakes are quick to make, totally delicious and packed full of protein – perfect for a nutritious and nourishing breakfast. The banana adds natural sweetness, the eggs provide you with healthy fats, and the chocolate flavour Instant Whey™ Pro makes them extra chocolatey!
Serves 1-2, depending on appetite
- 30g oats
- 10g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 25g Chocolate flavour Instant Whey™ Pro
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium banana
- Coconut oil or ghee, for frying
- Your choice of toppings: Berries, sliced banana, nut butter, yogurt, sliced almonds, cacoa nibs…
- Place all pancake ingredients into a blender and process on high speed until the mixture forms a smooth batter.
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil or ghee.
- Once pan is hot and coconut oil or ghee is melted, pour the pancake batter into the pan, 1-2 tablespoons at a time. The batter will spread a little as it cooks so make sure you leave enough space between them.
- Cook for two minutes until the batter starts to puff up, flip and cook for another one minute on the other side.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Top with your favourite yogurt, fruit, and nut butters.
If weekday mornings are a rush, then save your protein pancakes for the weekend and experiment with the quick high-protein breakfast ideas below.
2. Strawberry and Almond Smoothie
Blend together a handful of your favourite frozen berries, half a cup of oats, a cup of milk, a tablespoon of almond butter and 25g of the Strawberry & Raspberry flavour Instant Whey™ Pro for a super-fast breakfast.
3. Apple Pie Protein Porridge
Mix 25g of Salted Peanut Caramel flavour Instant Whey™ Pro into your favourite porridge recipe and top with caramelised apples (simply fry chopped apples in a little honey and cinnamon) and a handful of chopped nuts for a nourishing breakfast.
4. Tropical Overnight Oats
For a ready-to-eat breakfast, the evening before, pop half a cup of oats in a bowl with 25g of Vanilla flavour Instant Whey™ Pro, a cup of milk, a couple of tablespoons of yogurt and two tablespoons of desiccated coconut. Leave in the fridge overnight and top with sliced mango when ready to eat.
Try making your own recipes with Instant Whey™ Pro On the Go. Shop here